Re: [NTLK] newts for n00bs?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 11:20:39 PST

on 2/1/04 10:28 AM, Jacob Hunter at hunter.jacob_at_virgin.net wrote:

> I think a 2100 is probably going to be overbudget, but would a 130 or
> 2000 be able to do what I want it to or would I be much better off
> spending more and waiting for a 2100?

My opinion... The 130 has tons of heap--more, in fact, than the 2000.
However, it's quite slow for internet work, except for email. If you want to
do any web browsing, you are basically limited to the 2100... There is
another consideration. Only the 2X00 series can do ethernet connections, so,
if this is a concern for you, you ought to save up and get the 2100.

Basically, I think that if you are sure that you will be limiting yourself
to basic PIM functions--basically, if you are limiting yourself to doing on
your Newton what you did on your Palm, then you can consider a 130. However,
with the price difference not being that great, I can really see no reason
for not saving the pennies and getting yourself a 2100. I upgraded a while
ago, and could never go back to my 130. In fact, after playing just a few
days with my 2100, I felt _guilty_ for selling my friend my 130, and not
telling him to spend the extra money on a 2100, that's how much better it
is. Really, you should just consider the 2100, and not think about the rest.
That's where I stand. :-) HTH.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland