Re: [NTLK] newbie questions (off list?)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 09:57:18 PST

monk wrote:

> sorry to clog the bandwidth, with what are probably tired questions.
> but i checked the archive and couldn't find the specific answers. if
> anyone has the time and energy to answer off list, i'd appreciate it.
>
> i have a 2K machine with a modem card. i'd like to start syncing to my
> g4 powerbook running 10.2.8. i have a wireless network at home and at
> the office, but i don't have a usb to serial adaptor.
>
> can i buy a wireless card to install packages and sync? if so which are
> compatible? will i need to install a special driver first?

Yes, you can use a wireless card. You'll need to register the driver, it's
only $10 USD though:

http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

But first you need a way to get the necessary drivers onto your Newton. This
is known as the "bootstrapping" problem:

http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/BootStrapping

Since you have a modem, if you already have the Newton Internet Enabler and a
mail transport installed (EnRoute, or SimpleMail) you *could* theoretically
e-mail the packages and then dial into your ISP, download the messages with
attachments to the Newton, and then install them that way. Otherwise you'll
need to be visiting someone with the serial setup or some such.

> is newtsync the right choice for my OS/ machine? i use ical and the
> apple address book.

Yep, NewtSync should talk to both of those (disclaimer: I am not a MacOS user)

> what is the status of the driver for the microdrive cards?and what are
> the recommended models?

Likely, the MicroDrive will be like molasses, since the NewtonOS was designed
for sub-millisecond access times.

The ATA driver page is:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html