Re: [NTLK] Need a new backlight

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 01:36:00 PST

I do not know who has real experience with other than green BL foils -
I watched the Newton BL project from PBK solutions and they came to the
solution, that the LCD display is optimised for that green color and that
the green BL still is the best in terms of contrast and readibility.
And of course there is also the problem that the BL driver is optimised for
the original foil.
All the other foils have different electrical properties and thus the driver
is not optimised anymore which results in either higher power consumption or
lower BL intensity.
So the project ended successfully and the BL kits are available from
backlight4you.
I got one of the new BL foils for one of my Newts and I am happy with it.
But there is nothing fancy - its as green like the old one, it will for sure
last longer and it has almost the same power needs (with slightly modified
driver).
And another thing: there are lots of photographs out there showing Newts
with modified BL, but those photographs do not tell you anything about the
real performance of the BL, because the CCDs have a completely different
sensitivity than your eyes and you can manipiulate a lot on such photographs
(contrast, brightness, color saturation ...)
That is what I can tell you from my personal experience.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html