Re: [NTLK] Landware Review: QuickNames Pro

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 00:32:47 PST

Anybody reading this list knows I'm a Address Access lover, best Names
enhancement out there AFAIK, so I thought it might be interesting to do
a comparison:

On 4-feb-04, at 15:12, gmoody_at_gmx.net wrote:
> QuickNames Pro is a contact manager which I used it to replace the
> built-in
> Names application. Names is still there and accessible, but the
> interface
> QNP provides to the names soup can be indispensible.

Same for AA, no alterations to the Names Soup.

> You can retrieve any contacts by either writing the name on screen or
> tapping through the
> on-screen keyboard, you can make a call by tapping on the contact’s
> telephone number directly, it will play a DTMF tone automagically
> through
> the internal speaker.

Same for AA

> It is a little difficult to describe without a screenshot, but calling
> it
> displays a single small window with all query and navigation tools on
> the
> one screen. The top half of the screen contains query results (names,
> numbers, and any other field you want displayed), the bottom half has
> an
> on-screen keyboard and a query box that takes both HWR and keyboard
> input.
> You type in the beginning of a name, and the list displayed at the top
> narrows with each key press until the exact name you want is
> displayed. It
> allows a very quick recall of names for those who need this
> functionality.
> From the one screen, you can:
> - rapidly find a contact name
> - single tap to open all info window
> - single tap open card
> - single tap dial number using tones through the speaker
> - single tap access to secondary numbers for the selected name
> - rapid call logging

All the same for AA

> - single tap beaming or printing of selected name(s)

In routing menu

> Probably my only gripe is that the window opened is not resizable, and
> is
> kinda small for an MP2X00 screen.

AA isn't resizable but full screen.

> Other than that, if you have a need for a lightning fast contact
> manager that works with the seeded names soup, this one is work a
> look.

Extras for AA, you can choose if you do a 'Standard' search (same as in
'Names') but also for 'First', 'Last', 'Company', Address', Zip Code'
and 'City' so it's very easy to find everybody with any of these things
shared.
Moreover you can ad your own which I never used since this does the job
for me.
A few more extra options at a glance:
- Option is you want your cll logged or not (can show two buttons, one
with cal logging and one without.
- Choice between AA calling (direct dialing of the number) or the Names
way
- Interface configurable (choice of what kind of keyboard and what
size, or no keyboard at all.
- Full screen entry of new contacts (with each option under a tab, so
no more 'ad address' etc. the way Names does this (awful IMHO)
- Easy link for adding birthdays and anniversaries
- Change Name to Company and vice versa
  and much more.

It can be downloaded and tried out, will just bug you more and more.
Download with (overcharged) screenshot at
<http://people.freenet.de/thorsten_lange/aa_e.html>

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html