Re: [NTLK] Newtendo!

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 10:15:41 PST

ROCK on garth, rock on wayne and roclk on eagan!

LAG

Eagan Rackley <eagix_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi guys,

I had been planning on not saying anything to the list just yet, but
it's 3am and I'm totally delerious with joy at having finally gotten
NES: Newtendo Entertainment System running NES code + graphics! :)

So, anyway, Donkey Kong Jr. (pretty much the only commercial game I've
gotten working so far, lots of other homebrews do work:) is running on
my newton as we speak! Yay! Without sound at full frames I get about
20fps. With frameskip at 3 I can get about 30-40fps. So, it'll be a
little bit slower than a real NES, but I think that's most likely a good
thing for playing with an on-screen interface :D. We can always optimize
later on, in fact I was thinking about trying to port an existing
emulator instead of using my code (since now I'm getting a better idea
how an NES works, and I understand a little more how the newton works:).

So, anyway, if someone wants to see it, I'll send you the packages :) I
haven't made a keyboard / screen input interface yet, but you can watch
the demos run :D. I've also got a windows package for building roms if
someone wants to do it, and test some of the early mapper 0 titles like
Mario Brothers (not Super Mario brothers, that won't work yet :).

Our newton's first console emulator! I am so excited about the
possibilities this lends :D. The NES game library is big :D. That means
Final Fantasy 1-3, Cool Spot, Battle Chess, Asteroids, Donkey Kong,
Super Mario 1 to 3... so many titles that one day may run on our trusty
old newt.

Oh well, I'm going to bed now. But hopefully soon I'll have more time to
keep on trucking :D