[NTLK] Q: Printing to HP LJ Plus PS (local, network) - advice and printer drivers appreciated

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 05:45:42 PST

Dear all,

I have tried for the first time to set up printing on my Newton, but
without any success. The hardware is a MP 130 NOS 2.0 and a HP LaserJet 4
Plus with memory upgrade, Postscript-SIMM and Jetdirect-card, connected to
a Win98 box with Miramar Systems' PC MacLan v6.2. - Maybe you can advise me
what was wanting in my attempt.

Printing via Network: I've attached the Newton via serial to the PC, which
is a file- and printserver (courtesy of PC MacLan) for a Mac living next
door. In PC Maclan's Appletalk network browser on the PC, the printer shows
and I can access its properties and print a test page.
    I opened a note and selected "Network Printer", the Newton was looking
for printers, but didn't find anything.

Printing locally via LocalTalk: I've attached the Newton to the HP LJ's
Jetdirect card with a Mac's serial cable. I opened a note, choose Print
Note and selected the Personal LaserWriter 300 (for want of better driver
for my HP LJ 4 Plus PS - anybody got drivers for that and an Apple 4/600
PS?). The Newton went busy, and then told me that that no printer is connected.
    So I configured the MIO settings, but when I switched the Printer back
online, the old settings were restored (cfg network=no*, which also removed
any ETalk settings). Any help much appreciated.

Printing locally via serial cable: I've attached the Newton to the HP LJ's
Jetdirect card with a serial cable to the serial port. I opened a note,
choose Print Note and selected the Personal LaserWriter 300 (for want of
better driver for my HP LJ 4 Plus PS - anybody got drivers for that and an
Apple 4/600 PS?). The Newton went busy, and then told me that that no
printer is connected.

Any advice and pointer much appreciated.

Cheers,

' Kasko

P.S.: I would very much like to hook the printer to my LAN proper without
the PC in between and offer it's services to PC and Mac alike, plus somehow
to my Newton, too, but it's irritating config-resistance doomed all my
previous attempts.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html