Re: [NTLK] OT, again!!!: GarageBand question

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 11:42:06 PST

Hi Mark,

> C) Is it workable to record such a length of audio and not completely
> bog down the system? I'm not looking for professional quality, though
> this would be great if it were possible, if this will be an impediment
> to the system. "Good enough" will be good enough.

GB will store everything on-disk as AIFF because decompressing dozens
of tracks at once would be a bit much for your average iMac :-) Why not
use Audion instead? You can use that to record to disk as an MP3 file
and then burn to CD. Then you get the best of both worlds; little disk
space usage and great spoken word sound quality.

(No, I don't represent Panic in any way; it's just that Steven from
Panic created NewTen and gave it to us for free, so I feel as Newton
users we owe them a product purchase or two)

> Most important, since my hard drive is only 10 gb, can I install GB on
> my 15 gb iPod and run it off of there (connected to the iBook, of
> course)?

I think you have to install GB on your startup disk, but you can remove
or relocate the loops folder afterward, which is what takes up most of
GB's disk space.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html