Re: [NTLK] Newton Update Servers

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:41:06 PST

That's what my site: http://newton.tek-ed.com
Started out as. I use a PC running Windows (no
smirking from the peanut gallery) and never had much
success connecting to the Newt. So, I created my
newton server. It is all written in Cold Fusion and
the information is stored on a SQL 7.5 server. I also
have a remote upload system that allows me to send
Newt PKGs to the server. It's really rudmentary, but I
know the quirks (since I wrote it) and I find it
usefull.
The main advantage is that since I own the computer
and I own my own netblock, I can serve anything I
want. My ISP has a very liberal AUP. And I have
configured my Webserver with the correct MIME type
that allows Newtons to download and install PKGs. And
yes, NetHopper can install packages as well! I use
that program and as such, I wrote the page so it would
work on all Newton browsers.
Like I say on my site. If someone has something they
need, send me an email and where it can be found, and
I will post it on my site.
Plus, I have other pages linked off of this page. If
you find them, have fun.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- James Tyler Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com> wrote:
> If you have newtscape and NIE (not sure about
> nethopper) you can
> download a .pkg file off of a website and install it
> that way - if you
> have some webspace you could access when dialed up -
> or a mac you could
> dial into for net access (remote access anyone?) you
> might be able to
> simulate the dial-up and update servers with a
> webserver of your own...
>
> David Ensteness wrote:
>
> >So way back is the day you could dial into a Newton
> Update Server and it would down load updates to you.
> My question is con one still dial into a Mac running
> NCU or NCK and download whatever? It would be nice
> to be able to connect remotely to grad A package one
> needs while in the field.
> >

> ---

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.