[NTLK] TabletPC handwriting recognition

From: Henry Stukenborg (hjstukenborg_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 05:06:59 PST

All,

I've been curious about the TabletPC's handwriting recognition in relation
to the Newts so I did some research, even posting a bit over on MS's
TabletPC forum. The thing that leapt out at me is the fact that it's static
- it has no facility for learning how your write! Here's a comment from one
of the MVP's on the TabletPC forum:

> The handwriting is not trainable. Period. There are hundreds of
thousands
> of samplings within the handwriting recognition, with many years of
> development put into the project. It really does get better as the user
> gets used to using their Tablet PC.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

Notice the last line - it gets better BECAUSE THE USER GETS USED TO USING
IT. IOW, just like PalmOS, you have to change how you write to improve your
chances that your handwriting is recognized.

In the grander scheme what strikes me is how we're still producing products
that force the end user to conform to how the computer works, instead of the
other way around. In many respects I mean this in a much broader sense, but
AFA handwriting recognition goes that should have been one of the top 3
development goals.

I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts on this or more knowledge about
the TabletPC's handwriting recognition engine?

Thanks.

-Henry

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html