Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]cd VS Vinyl was( OT Palm dropping support for mac)

From: Anil (anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 03:28:52 PST

Dear David,

I hope things are well with you.

I had to chime in on your comment regarding Vinyl, because the science
and the reality are very different. For example Silver is only 7% more
conductive than copper, but cables and equipment made from silver sound
far more superior to copper, more than 7% in my experience.

One of the reasons domestically burned CD's aren't as good as
commercially stamped CD's is because they are burned and not stamped.
The CD master is very very accurate whereas the laser in your burner is
not as accurate, how can it be? A spinning disc, up to 52 faster than
the original playback speed, errors are going to be intriduced, not to
mention the fact that none of the CD's burned at home are burned in a
clean environment.

OK, back to my original point, regardless of science and specs go visit
a decent Hi-Fi dealer, not a Linn dealer but someone who may stock
Audionote or some other esoteric brand you may never have heard of, and
listen to a $10,000.00 CD player and a $10,000.00 record player. There
is a difference, if you like that difference then that is up to your
own ears. I personally think Vinyl edges over CD especially when you
start spending over 10K.

As for record wear and tear, CD's are not indestructible, and as for
vinyl being destroyed the minute you play it well that is a slight over
statement. Yes the record does wear out, but if you have a decent phono
cartridge something so fine you can barely see the diamond tip, and it
is correctly set up in your arm then you should get many many years
listening pleasure out of that disc. And lets not forget the massive
back catalogue of fantastic music (some say over a billion) available
on old vinyl records, and some of them for silly prices.

Finally you can circumvent all of the traditional problems of vinyl buy
using a laser record player. A device which uses several lasers to read
the analogue data off your precious discs (you gotta love the
Japanese).

I have heard one of these mad machines, and it does sound immense, not
to mention you can skip tracks with the remote. Which just blew my
mind. Ultimately enjoying music is the object of the exercise, if you
are doing that with a five dollar radio or a quarter of a million
dollar super system then then result is the same, enjoyment. Music is
important to me, so I spend as much as I can afford, because it takes
me nearer to the musical experience and increases my enjoyment of both
my extensive vinyl and Cd collections, because I use both!

Kindest regards

Anil K Solanki
United Kingdom, MP 2100, MP 130
AudioNote System.