Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating Newton

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 05:17:21 PST

> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:10:04 +0100
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating Newton
> From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
>
> on 2/20/04 4:43 PM, DJ Vollkasko at DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net wrote:
>
>> Compact multi-platform Newton eBooks. Wow, that'd be really hot in my
>> book.
>> ;=}
>
> Aren't those mutually exclusive terms, however? I mean, to be
> multiplatform,
> you would have to have the text in all those formats (ok, so two sizes
> would
> probably suffice, right?) I remember when I used to make books, I had
> to set
> the margins for the 120 screen size, or for the 2K screen size in my
> WP.
> Would you need both copies? Or am I forgetting something here???

a book stores the non-paginated text (and graphics) in a data area; and
for a given page resolution, it then formats/laysout the data to fit
the given page container (by setting margins for wrapping, and using
substring indexes into the book data).

so, in theory adding another multiple page resolution to the same book
package shouldn't be much overhead (another view but not a separate
copy of the data); in practice, I don't know if the book reader really
supports this, or whether examples of any such multi-format books
really exist (though there have been rumors mentioned here).

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html