[NTLK] Two new eBooks for your enjoyment!

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 10:50:45 PST

Two new eBooks, get 'em from me now or UNNA soon (hey, there's also still
some Conan-books in the queue and Doyle's fabulous Adventures of Etienne
Gerard, leftovers from my Christmas Craze! ;=} ):

1. Theodor W. Adorno - On Popular Music

Adorno, one of Germany's most famous sociologists, published this "Serious
Music vs. Popular Music"-essay in 1941 (when Pop was Glenn Miller ;=} ).
Still, some things never change, and so there are some surprisingly fresh
observations in this essay (and probably also some stuff he got all wrong
back then, as he couldn't have foreseen - and wouldn't have cared much
about - improv under the sign of free jazz and the curious changes that
blues underwent after New York '76/London '77).

File under ./books/sociology/Adorno, Theodor_W/On_Popular_Music_(1941)

2. Guy Debord - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955)

Debord and the Situationist International can't really be separated (and
were great influences on many curious people, right up to and beyond the
Sex Pistols and the whole London '77 punk scene). Pretty entertaining rants
of society, economy and the arts, if you can suffer original ideas.

I found an English and a German source of this 1955 text, which I combined
for a biligual edition of this "Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography".

File under ./books/sociology/Debord,_Guy/Critique_of_Urban_Geography_(1955)

Enjoy!

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html