Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge - Should I be worried?

From: Larry Zasitko (l.zasitko_at_sasktel.net)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 09:51:17 PST

Nick,

Very nice surprise, wish my wife would get me a Newton, ah heck I have
too many now so that will not happen.

Fix the hinges, there is a site where they show how to do this and so
long as you take your time. Do a search on google for 'emate hinge
repair' There is a good pdf that shows the hinge assembly and how to
fix it.

If you do not have the memory module, get one. It does help and the
emate feels a little quicker, storage is always a nice thing too. Check
with PCBMan, he sells one that he makes. There is also been some talk
about modules with higher amounts of memory which would make it even
nicer.

Watch your battery and if the run time is short it may need to be
replaced or recelled.

I bought my eMate from Woody on the list here and he had already done
the hinge repair on it and also had recelled the battery pack. I also
bought the memory module from him so I am set for a while. I transfered
all my contacts from my 2100 to the eMate along with most of the
programs I use by beaming. It really worked pretty good. Very pleased
with mine. On mine there is moderate resistance in opening the lid and
it does close easier but I can't really say how mine compares to your.
It should not be really hard or stiff to open I would think. I have a
iBook (Graphite Clamshell) and I find the cover on it is harder to open
than the eMate.

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 01:57 AM, Nick M. wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> The wife just surprised me the other day with an early b-day present-
> an eMate in great condition :^)
>
> Anyway, I'm aware of the hinge problem and I'm wondering a little about
> mine. The cover is very stiff opening, yes closes quite easily. I read
> in the manual that it takes some pressure to open it (the lid is stiff
> to provide stability as a writing surface) but I'm wondering what's
> stiff enough, and what's stiff enough to worry about.
>
> Any insight greatly appreciated!
>
> /nickm

Larry Zasitko
Newton OMP, 110, 120, 2100, eMate