Re: [NTLK] Mail V

From: mark d smith (mark_at_bbprojects.net)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 14:33:27 PST

On 22 Feb 2004, at 23:05, Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> Actually, Mail V did not generate any of these files or folders. These
> are the default files and folders created with your Newted account on
> the Unix file system. It appears that Mail V does not automatically
> create any IMAP mail folders for accounts without them. I have found
> that you need to connect to your Newted account using another IMAP
> mail client (such as Outlook, Eudora, Apple Mail, Entourage, or
> similar) and have that session create the folders prior to connecting
> with Mail V.

Seems to me, that Mail V is behaving correctly here. It is not the
business of a client to go creating mailboxes or mailbox containers on
IMAP servers without an explicit command from the user. Courier and
cyrus-based IMAP severs will usually create some mailboxes by default
on the server such as:

Inbox
Inbox.Drafts
Inbox.Sent
Inbox.JunkMail
Inbox.Trash

I think that some clients expect to find these and when they don't
(such as on a virgin UW IMAP server), they create them automatically,
but, ideally, they shouldn't.

mark.

--
the list member formerly known as: