Re: [NTLK] Some Project Ideas for Idle Hands

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 14:43:09 PST

Newtopia wrote:
> Timing? What do you mean by this? Oh, I have an IrDA port as well.

Well, exactly what Eck's link said, but I'll say it here again.

When you want to send a file from Windows 2000/XP, it has to see that there's
an active device within infrared range first. To do this on the Newton with
Neo/Nitro, you go to the InBox and tap Receive->IrOBEX.

The Newton will activate the IR port and look for other computers: at this
point Windows will see it and give you a notification in the taskbar. But the
Newton will only wait for the transfer to begin for 3-4 seconds, and then time
out. So you have to be fast on the Windows side to start the transfer.

I got around this by making a shortcut in the SendTo system folder that will
open a file with IrFTP.exe (the IR file transfer app for Windows). That way I
can right-click on a file and hover my mouse over the Send To menu item,
activate the Newton's IrOBEX and then once I see that Windows has found it
make one click and the transfer starts.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html