[NTLK] Request for testing: ADSP and Airport Extreme Base Station

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 15:53:46 PST

Hello all,

Could someone please perform tests with AppleTalk (ADSP), Escale and
an Airport Extreme Base Station?

Requirements:
- An airport extreme base station with some network without WEP enabled.
- A Mac with an Airport card (extreme or not) running MacOS X with Classic.
- A Newton 2.1 with a 802.11 card and Hiroshi's driver.

The test is as follow:
- Make sure your Mac has AppleTalk enabled on the Airport interface.
- Configure your Mac and your Newton so you can connect via AppleTalk
on Newton Connection Utilities.
- Get Escale 1.0.1 or a nightly (it won't matter for the test)
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/)
- Quit NCU.
- Start Escale. Check that the middle icon is on (black, it may take
few seconds).
- Open the Dock on the Newton. Choose Other computer. Check that you
can select your Mac on this browser. Close the browser. Tap connect.

Then, there are two possible results:
- the Dock icons will appear
- the Dock will try forever to connect and will fail saying that the
remote computer didn't respond

My theory is that the second option didn't work because of a bug in
either the Airport Base Station firmware or MacOS X. There is a weird
workaround which is to run tcpdump on the Mac.

I filed a bug report last year with sample code and the like. I'm
pretty sure I did the test with 10.3.1 at the beginning of December
and firmware 5.2. I have just done the test again to try to find a
fix from Darwin source code, and it succeeded, i.e. I was able to
connect. The only new thing is 10.3.2. Before I report to Apple that
the bug has been fixed, I would like confirmations from other users,
hence this request for testing.

Thanks in advance for your (private) replies. Please specify the
version of the firmware and the equipment used (the kind of Mac you
have).

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/