Re: [NTLK] OT: ?'s about blogging

From: David Schultz (evil_genius_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 08:57:29 PST

On 1/6/04 11:07 AM, "Nathan Turnage" <nturnage_at_andadv.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> II work in an advertising and marketing firm, and was jsut informed that
> the higher ups would like me to spend some time looking into web logs.
> It turns out that alot of corporations have started blooging as a means
> to get closer to their customers. Seeing as how I have never set one up,
> I have some questions for those that have.
>
> 1: Do I need some sort of sepcialized software to build content or serve
> content for one?

There are many different solutions. Some blogging can be done using websites
which handle your content for you. (blogger.com) Or you can "roll your own"
ie install blogging software on your own web server (movabletype.com) or you
can use your idisk, (more of a personal blogging solution, I use it with an
application called iblog, free for .mac members)

> 2: Can I use normal HTML tools to add info on one?

The beauty of it is in *not* having to use html. Its focus is instant
publishing. However, your html skillz will come in handy hosting your own
website. You can customize and setup your website with as much tweaking as
you like.

> 3: Do I have to use one of the specialized services (blogspot, etc.) to
> put one online? Or can my ISP serve it as normal HTML in my webpage?

I found an inexpensive web host, and installed the movabletype software (one
of the most popular web logging systems for do it yourselfers) in about 3
hours. This isnt by any means an endorsement, it was a pain in the a**.
Depending on your technical knowledge, ymmv.

> 4: If I was to have my ISP serve my blog, do they need special
> software/services to be set up to do so (cgi, asp, etc.)?

Yes, in some cases you would have to have PHP and MYSQL installed on your
web server, but I found these to be part of most hosting packages.
Everything with my $1 a month web host was ready to go when I inquired about
MT. (I had to pay another $1 to get MYSQL setup, but it was instantaneous)
My web server host has minimal tech support, I found I was able to get by
with just a portable on my lab to help me search for info when I had
trouble, and a ton of coffee.

> 5: What questions should I be asking my ISP if I want them to host it?

Go to the movable type website, and read read read. Feel free to email me
offlist if you need hand holding.

> 6: Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?

Perhaps a tad. I think instead I would say you are putting the cart before
the horse, you need to research, but this is easy and simple. Go to blogger,
movabletype, and check them out. In an afternoon of reading you will have
all you need to make a good informed choice.

It breaks down thusly;

blogging with blogging solution websites, like radio userland, LiveJournal
or blogger:
pluses: simple, fast publishing (type, hit return, voila, webpage).
Drawbacks, you may not customize your site as much as you may like,
sometimes you have to pay for the service.

Blogging with technologies like movabletype greymatter, or nucleus:

> While I have never set up a blog, I am no stranger to HTML or web
> design, so I am not a total newby here. Feel free to speak 'geek' if you
> must. Any help or links you guys and gals could turn me on to would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

Some links: