Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] macworld 04 pix

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 10:43:21 PST

On Jan 9, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> on 1/9/04 3:01 AM, Rick Ludwig at bensisko_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> 2) iPhoto and iMovie are no longer free??? Steve, you are just trying
>> to squeeze $$ out of loyal Apple fans' pockets. Yes Garage Band is
>> great, but I kinda thought this is why I'm shelling out $100 a year
>> for
>> .Mac. What's next? Quicktime for $15 and Quicktime Pro for $49?
>
> I agree with this point. What is Apple thinking? Is this how they
> reward us
> faithful users? I have discovered Kodak's EasyShare program. No, it's
> not
> just like iPhoto, but it seems to do the job ok. And better, it doesn't
> create copies of your photos in its own folder, keeping them where you
> put
> them. Who needs iPhoto? :-) (In contrast to Apple forcing me to pay
> for
> "GarageBand"--pretty lame--and iDVD, neither of which I will ever
> use...)

$49 for ilife seems an incredible deal to me. Even if you only use
iPhoto it's not bad.

Also, don't forget iPhoto comes with 10.3, so if you bought a mac, or
even just the OS box you already have it.

I will happily pay the $49us just to get garageband. Look around at
other somewhat comparable and you will see that is about 1/4 the price
of any other product.

Personally I think a much bigger problem with Apple's current strategy
is that they are undermining third party developers by taking away
whole product categories.

Think how bias must feel seeing garageband for $49us? Ouch.

It would seem good for Apple to give ilife updates to .mac members as
part of there membership though...

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html