Re: [NTLK] OT macworld 04 pix

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 12:43:03 PST

On 9-Jan-04, at 12:35 PM, Brian Pearce wrote:

>> I do think they could slowly move to releasing OS X on Intel, but
>> still
>> make it run better on a Mac because they control the hardware.
>> This would open them up to at least being more than they are today.
>
> The trouble with this is that anything that undercuts hardware sales,
> even if it were an option to run a less useful version of OS X on
> another platform, significantly erodes Apple's profits.

Profits made from 26% margins on is only one way Apple could make money.
Selling thousand of software licenses at $199 a shot is also a good
plan.
Ask Microsoft.

It's just a different business than they are in today.

> I'd love (as a stockholder) to see Apple pick up some additional market
> share; but I'd hate (as a Mac user) to see that come at the expense of
> the company's continued stability and (more importantly) it's R & D
> operations.

I'd like to see Apple's OS pick up market share. Whether they sell more
hardware or not.
But they'd have to do it in a way they didn't go broke making that
change.
I think there's a way for them to do it but it would take 2 - 3 years
to transition to being a software/OS company.

Hard to say unless they try it; which I doubt.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html