Re: [NTLK] OT: Windows laptop with AirPort possible?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 20:59:29 PST

on 11/01/04 17:36, Oliver Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:35:31 -0500
>> From: Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>
>
>> The laptop comes
>> with a control panel named "TrueMobile 1300 Client Utility". This control
>> panel lets me see and connect to network. I can see my ABS name and
>> configure it. Still, no network connection.
>
> Hm, if the Dell sees it... can you truly configure the APBS from it? I mean
> not just the Dell's config for that AP, but the APBS itself? If not, do you
> possibly have the APBS set to restrict access to certain MACs and did not
> include the TrueMobile 1300's MAC? This is just a guess, as you should not be
> able to see the APBS for more than half a second if your MAC is not listed.
>
>> The very intuitive system reports "Wireless: no network cable plugged".
>
> Wow, that is of "No keyboard detected, press F10" quality! Love that!
>
> Oliver :)

Hmmm, I wouldn't know what to use to configure the ABS from the PC (and I'm
not even sure I would like to try it in fear of rendering my ABS useless!).

There are no MAC restrictions. I can see my network in the Dell TrueMobile
utility as long as I leave it open.

Besides the TCP/IP settings in the network connection for the wireless card,
is there anything else I might be missing? Ed?

-Laurent.

Gates's Law: "The speed of software halves every 18 months." This oft-cited
law is an ironic comment on the tendency of software bloat to outpace the
every-18-month doubling in hardware capacity per dollar predicted by Moore's
Law. The reference is to Bill Gates; Microsoft is widely considered among
the worst if not the worst of the perpetrators of bloat.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html