Re: [NTLK] GPRS service from T-mobile for free

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 00:21:34 PST

On Jan 12, 2004, at 2:33 PM, Eric Schneck wrote:

>> From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:56:16 -0800
>>
>> If you call up T-mobile and ask for the WAP service to be enabled for
>> your phone, they will do this for free.
>>
>> At that point you are also able to use the phone as a modem which
>> works
>> via GPRS and there is no charge other then the minutes used.
>>
> Are you sure that you are using GPRS and not a dial-up connection?
Oh yes, I have done both...
> Do you have a phone-call icon or a Wap icon on the phone's status
> screen while you are connected?
yes, exactly, and when the connection ends it reports how many bytes
have been transferred.
> How fast is the connection? (a dial-up connection is 9.6k, vs 56 or
> so for GPRS).
I would say it feel like a 28.8 modem except the latentcy seems longer.
  So it's kinds pokey but it works. faster then the 9600baud dial up.

> If you really do have GPRS working, I would love to see the dialing
> script.
Here is a link to some OSX modem scripts you can look at: Look for the
mobile phone GPRS scripts I am using the Sony Ericsson script. You
sort of have to try and error with the various scripts to determine a
good CID. I use 2 here in seattle.
http://www.taniwha.org.uk/
Here are instructions for setting up OSX:
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/

The really cool thing is the way OSX handles(allows prioritization)
Network connections, so that if She is home her powerbook picks up the
Wireless (802.11b) network, but if she leave here, it automagically
tries the cell. Incredibly slick.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html