Re: [NTLK] GPRS service from T-mobile for free

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 03:27:19 PST

On Jan 12, 2004, at 3:59 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] GPRS service from T-mobile for free
> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:56:16 -0800
>
> I don't remember if this has been discussed before here...
>
> I have been playing with my wife's T-mobile cell phone (t68i), and I
> have discovered something interesting.
>
> If you call up T-mobile and ask for the WAP service to be enabled for
> your phone, they will do this for free.
>
> At that point you are also able to use the phone as a modem which works
> via GPRS and there is no charge other then the minutes used.
>
> This is kind of exciting, as it means in her case she can basically
> take her powerbook anywhere she has cell reception and get online
> (slowly though).
>
> I am going to play with the Newt via infra-red here since I don't have
> a Bluetooth card, and I am going to look for a compatible bluetooth
> card also, since I have been jonesin to play with Blunt.
>
> Anyhow, any of you T-mobile customers, you don't need to pay extra
> for this service, although I suspect some ports are most likely blocked
> via this route, which would open if you pay.
>
> Marty
>
> PS I haven't got a bill since playing with this either, so I am only
> going by what the tech told me.

I'm using T-Mobile's $10/month unlimited internet access plan that
supports http: (also https: if supported by phone software) -- at least
when used directly on phone(I've got Sony Ericsson P800); I haven't
tried other ports; and I don't know whether this'll work indirectly
when using phone as a modem.

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://communicrossings.com/