Re: [NTLK] GPRS service from T-mobile for free

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 10:30:12 PST

On Jan 13, 2004, at 7:08 AM, Nathan Turnage wrote:

> -> Actually, you don't have to pay anything to enable GPRS with
> T-mobile
> -> here in Germany. They offer such packs, but, as a normal everyday
> -> subscriber, you can just get GPRS turned on (I did it online) for
> -> nothing.
>
> It is a bit similar here in the US for AT&T service. You don't have to
> pay a monthly fee for GPRS, but you pay per KB. With the service I
> have,
> I pay $5.95 per month for 1MB with an additional $. 02 per KB over
> that.
> I had originally bought a T68i to use as a IR modem for the Newt, but I
> could only get my email and never figured out a way to use it to surf
> the net. I have since moved to a different phone that doesn't have IR
> or
> BT, so I have a lot of unused KBs per month. I can still check scores
> and news on my new phone tho.
>
> Dreaming of upgrading to a SonyEricsson P800... </drool>

According to the Tmobile rep I spoke to here, using the "WAP only"
option is free to any US t-mobile customer with a WAP capable phone,
and only counts against minutes (ie NO CHARGE PER BYTE). They do not
support the use os laptops or palmtops in conjunction with this
service, but who needs there support anyhow.

The only difference I see from the $10 per month that Steve Weyer is
paying is that I uses different APN which provides WAP only (whatever
this means). Also it seems there might be some port blocking on the WAP
only service. Oh, with the WAP only service you get a NATed IP
address.

Paying customers usually configure there APN as
interenet2.voicestream.com while the free service uses the APN
wap.voicestream.com.

Steve you might want to try changing this setting and seeing if
everything you need still works. If so I recommend canceling the $10 a
month "internet" package?

Marty

PS I will definitely verify my bill here when it shows.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html