Re: [NTLK] GPRS service from T-mobile for free

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 04:24:33 PST

> From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] GPRS service from T-mobile for free
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:30:12 -0800

> According to the Tmobile rep I spoke to here, using the "WAP only"
> option is free to any US t-mobile customer with a WAP capable phone,
> and only counts against minutes (ie NO CHARGE PER BYTE). They do not
> support the use os laptops or palmtops in conjunction with this
> service, but who needs there support anyhow.
>
> The only difference I see from the $10 per month that Steve Weyer is
> paying is that I uses different APN which provides WAP only (whatever
> this means). Also it seems there might be some port blocking on the WAP
> only service. Oh, with the WAP only service you get a NATed IP
> address.
>
> Paying customers usually configure there APN as
> interenet2.voicestream.com while the free service uses the APN
> wap.voicestream.com.
>
> Steve you might want to try changing this setting and seeing if
> everything you need still works. If so I recommend canceling the $10 a
> month "internet" package?

T-mobile internet package provides regular http: access via GPRS. I
assumed WAP wouldn't work for me unless it'll do regular file transfers
from any http: server (not just custom WAP pages).

it is possible to pay by-the-byte with T-Mobile (and other US services)
but I didn't want to have to worry about that while I'm developing and
testing apps.

the $10 flat fee is on top of regular monthly fee for voice minutes.

> From: oliver.brose_at_t-online.de (Oliver Brose)
> Save yourself some grey hairs and get the P900.

I agree that would be preferable since P900 has some nice updates like
J2ME MIDP 2.0 -- which supports https:. (and Sony Ericsson doesn't
seem to provide any ROM updates; though I assume P800s are being priced
to clear).

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://communicrossings.com/