Re: [NTLK] List etiquette.

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 11:03:02 PST

On Jan 16, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> Anil wrote:
>
>> Why are people allowed to post personal and offensive messages? Why
>> doesn't Victor the list head honcho do something about this.
> <snip>

> I haven't seen any really bad divisions occurring since the huge
> debates and
> general unrest in September/October 2001. If you are interested in
> what
> happened, please don't ask but just go look in the list archives.
<snip>

I agree with Victor, personally I haven't seen any really "offensive"
post here. Frankly I don't recall any recent personal attacks either.

I think it's great that for the most part this list is very cordial and
constructive, even when it is way, way off topic. I'm on other lists
too so I know how out of control they can be.

If your offended by particular language, I think that's your problem
;~) You can gently remind posters that you find said language
offensive, but beyond that...

It's hard to stay on topic when you know newtontalk is such an
intelligent and congenial audience with such a diverse mass of
knowledge. It's tempting to ask or discuss off topic issues. We can
try to do better in this respect. We know who we are.

Labeling posts which are off topic with a [OT] is a good start as at
least it allows uninterested listees to skip.

Thanks to all of you for this most rockin' list experience.
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html