Re: [NTLK] Names utilities

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 13:44:04 PST

>> Hmm I suppose it is possible. And while that is one, I personally would
>> have done this since your backup is was completed ok: dump names and
>> restrore just names from the backup, but to the card rather than
internal.
>> But hey as long as it is working, who cares what method was used ;)

> I had/have the exact same problem as Robert, and can say that backing up
and
> restoring will restore whatever corruption he has... Actually, he probably
> cannot back up via NCU, only to a card, and that backup will restore the
> corruption... I ended up doing what Robert did, wipe and start over. It
was
> horrible, and I also suffered countless duplicates due to trying to change
> stores. It would die on my corrupt name, but copy most of the data. I had
> several copies of the same contact... A mess... Robert, you have my
> sympathies... ;-)
Ok I did some checking and I am also having a problem restoring a internal
backup to a card. I thought I had done it before, but if I did I have
forgot how. I did some digging in a NCU backup and apparently toward the
start of the backup file it records weather it is a internal, card storage,
or flash storage card. At least those are the three different types I have
found so far. I tried to change them with a HEX editor, but so far have
been successful in only corrupting the backup file (or at least NCU calls
them corrupted).

However I might have come up with a better method. It all depends on if
some of the data was moved to the card, which I suspect it was and failed at
the 10%. You said there were duplicates, probably whatever card it choked
on, there was a copy on the card and a copy on the internal. And when you
tried again, it made another copy on the card, perhaps even all the ones
from the start to the point where the moving choked.

My idea is this: if some of the soup is on the card and some of it is on the
internal, get out a soup editor and compare the internal soup as well as the
card one. I suspect that you will find the first name on the internal is
the same and duplicated on the last of the card store. If this is the case,
delete the first entry in the internal soup. And on the card soup, delete
the entries at the end if there are any exact duplicates.

Now if the internal soup starts exactly the same as the card soup. That
means that the Newt did not delete the entries after it was moved them to
the card. So in this case you want to delete the entries in the internal
soup till you get to the entries that were copied to the card.

That should fix it, unless nothing got moved to the card at all. If that is
the case I don't know any better method other than trying SBM utilities or
exporting and importing as you did. I will keep checking though to see if
it is possible to fool a internal backup to think it is a card backup.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html