Re: [NTLK] Serial port power

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 09:52:22 PST

I don't know specifically the failure to a single
device, but the serial port (or NIC) is an extremly
flakey and delicate part of the Newt. This single part
is poorly designed and once it's damaged, it will no
longer work reliably. Check the archives for my other
posts on the NIC for details.
The insidious part is that this port will fail through
normal use. Due to the way it is designed, failure is
not a potential, but a certainty. Every time you plug
something into this port, you are running the risk of
having this port fail!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Rolf Brakvatne <rbrak29_at_qwest.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know if over time or technical factors,
> a Newton 2100's
> serial port (interconnect port) would fail to power
> certain serial
> devices ie Palm keyboard? It powers the Apple
> keyboard just fine.
>
> TIA
>
> RB

=====
"The only way to get real privacy, is not to collect the information in the first place."
   'Aviel D. Rubin, the
   technical director of the Information Security Institute at Johns
   Hopkins University on the requirement that GPS location systems be added
   to "Fast-pass/EZ-pass" in-car toll devices.