Re: [NTLK] Newton and BlueTooth--why?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 13:58:57 PST

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:39:37 -0800, John Osborne wrote:
> If I had a BT Newton, what could I do with my current BT
> adapter in my iMac?

Send and receive any kind of data item. On the Newton, BT shows up as
an option under the action menu and the receive button in the Inbox. I
use it for example to transfer packages for installation, receive
appointments in iCal format from my Windows PC or send updated Names as
vCards to my Mac.

Also, you can use the Mac (or any other properly configured computer)
as a PPP server to connect the Newton to the internet.

NewtSync should work with some modifications, either emulating a serial
port over BT or using a PPP connection.

... and so on.

> What capabilities of my Mac (Jaguar) are exposed by
> this BT connection?

Bluetooth File Exchange for starters. Then it pretty much depends what
you install on the Mac, e.g. NewtSync or a PPP server.

> I know the BT devices have to "pair" but is this
> purely a monogamous relationship?

No, pairing only means that both devices have agreed on a common
communications key. It is not an "active" thing.

> Can my BT adapter pair with other BT
> devices while paired with my keyboard?

Yes, no problem. BT is a multiplexing protocol (although I haven't
implemented that on the Newton).

> PS I think it would be pretty cool to have a BT Newton but I'm still
> trying to see the killer application as far as my current needs.

For me, it's hassle free (read: no cables, no pointing a la IrDA) file
exchange and internet anywhere anytime via my GPRS cell phone. It
should also be more gentle on the Newton's batteries.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html