Re: [NTLK] LaserJet 4 Postscript and Localtalk upgrade?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 00:53:09 PST

> >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:33:03 -0700
> >From: Norman Palardy <palardyn_at_shaw.ca>
> >Subject: Re: [NTLK] LaserJet 4 Postscript and Localtalk upgrade?
> >
> >I think you can add postscript but you may have a hard time finding the
> >right parts as HP has discontinued many accessories for the 4 series.

Norman,

it's possible to find this stuff easy through patience and Ebay. I've simply
saved a search using the original HP part numbers and set it to send me mail
notifications whenever a Postscript or memory SIMM went on offer (my HP
LaserJet 4 Plus having been already equipped with a JetDirect card). The
memory comes up pretty often (like once per week at least), the PS SIMM less
often (like once a month to once every other month).

The LJ 4 series are pretty good and rock-solid office workhorses (only
downside: don't power down to sleep-mode, the fan is constantly running),
and I've found the cartridges to last quite a distance. Also it does its own
processing, and does not rely on the computer for processing and memory
resources. Upgrading the SIMMs is a snap.
   We used the printer to print pdf layout proofs for easy prepress checks,
and the built-in memory was too little for documents that contained even
halfway-serious visuals, so the upgrade was really an improvement.

Depending on how much your printer's cartridge is already used up, it might
be cheaper to buy a complete box (e.g. HP LaserJet 4 M Plus) and sell yours.
If you've got a nearly full cartridge (and maybe more in stock), buying the
parts will be cheaper.

DJV.

P.S.: You *do* have to buy the parts HP specifies, else no worky. I've tried
some spare 4 to 16 MB EDO SIMMs in our LJ 4 Plus and failed.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html