Re: [NTLK] Escale dock via TCP on *NIX

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 23:20:33 PST

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Paul Guyot wrote:

> > UnixNPI is rather nice because it runs on Linux, or a BSD.
> >
> > How likely could the docking via TCP be done w/ the Escale code to turn it
> > into a daemon process on a *NIX box?
>
> cd DCL/Desktop\ Connection\ Library/_Build_/Jam/
> jam
> cd build.*/
> ./LaHotte
>
> Except that there are some issues with browsing over TCP/IP on the Newton
> side.

Actually, you couldn't browse at all because of a bug introduced in
LaHotte when I added multiple roots (the idea is to have a daemon with
which you could browse some defined roots only and not everything the
daemon's user can see).

So now (as in after a CVS update), you get a -4 when browsing. LaHotte
says something like:

D]../../DCL/Exceptions/TDCLException.cp:54> New Exception - 7 (0) at
../../DCL/Link/Dock Commands/TDCLDockCommand.cp:73

Exception au niveau du lien [BFFFF820]!
>> TDCLEOFException (code: 7, erreur: 0) [../../DCL/Link/Dock
Commands/TDCLDockCommand.cp:73]

which basically means it encountered an unexpected EOF. And the Newton
says an error -4 occurred.

Feel free to dig the problem. It happens more or less randomly (including
in Escale). Last time I checked, though, the -4 error was happening in the
bowels of NIE. Indeed, the Dock application calls the communication tools
with the native interface. Which isn't very good news for the project of
doing so with Internet applications to improve their performances.

Paul

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html