Re: [NTLK] my comments to a TabletPC review

From: Brian Parker (bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 14:41:38 PST

On Sunday, January 25, 2004, at 01:48 PM, Vaguely Radio wrote:

> I think the reason the Newton (and, arguably, PalmOS) was/is so
> fantastic is that it doesn't hinder itself with a desktop metaphor.

> I admire the simplicity of PalmOS's interface. It's very no-nonsense
> and stays out
> of the way, except for Graffiti's limitations - it's just too bad that
> it's so inhuman, like it was designed by a machine.

> In my opinion, Newton's interface is the perfect,

These are the comments I completely agree with. NewtonOS is the best
pen interface I have ever seen. It scales well with screen sizes, and
wastes almost no space. PalmOS is nice for tiny screens but is not as
consistent at higher resolutions. Any form of Windows is a screen
waster and slow interface.

However the Palm hardware like the Clie NX80V is what I consider as
perfect as the Newton software. 320x480 color screen in a tiny case,
swivel screen, thumb keyboard, wifi and large memory cards. Camera is
a nice addition :) PalmOS is the real limitation with no screen
rotation, no multiprogramming, and no word based HWR. The basic apps
are also frequently painful. There is nothing like Notes where you can
mix text and pictures as objects. I would pay serious money for
NewtonOS on the Clie hardware. Serious means $100+.

For a quick summary, NewtonOS + ClieNX80V = perfect handheld :)

Brian Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html