Re: [NTLK] my comments to a TabletPC review

From: Rick Rodman (richard.rodman_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 15:35:43 PST

Absolutely! The screen size of all the current PDAs is too small.
Imagine a Newton screen (with color maybe?) in a 1/2" thick metal case,
with replaceable/rechargable batteries that slide in and out one end.
It'd be fabulous.

The Newton's core applications are better than Palm's, too. It's so
simple: show To-Do items and Events on one screen (Dates/Agenda).
What's so hard to understand? The Newton's design and applications
show far more attention to detail than most products today - especially
cellphones. (Who can press those tiny keys? Never mind, ship it!) And
the Newton's extensibility is far better than today's PDAs and
cellphones. (TWO (2) PCMCIA slots!)

And altho I haven't gotten the hang of Newtonscript, it seems to me
that there are more applications for Newton than most other platforms.
WinCE/PocketPC has a portability problem - most apps are available for
only one or two types of devices. Both Palm and WinCE/PocketPC are
thoroughly proprietary platforms, too - it may look like Windows, but
programming it is another story entirely.

I still hope for a HyperCard-like package which will make a PDA fully
and easily user-programmable. Newtonscript and NewtDevEnv may actually
be the closest that the industry has come...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html