Re: [NTLK] Opening of the Tucson Apple Store

From: Newtopia (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 08:38:08 PST

In my years of experience managing a major retail store in Tucson, AZ, I can
tell you this...

Canon makes the best image printing machines, not only in print image
quality but also durability. The only other competitor for print quality
would be Epson's Photo series of inkjets, but their problems with clogging
ink jets put them behind Canon.

A few stats, we sold approximately 800 Canon "powered" laser jets in the
five years I managed, we had one returned because the user couldn't figure
out how to insert the toner cartridge, which we did for them. I sent in 11
laser writers for service, ended up that 10 of the 11 had serviced more than
the drum's life expectancy and the 11th had been exposed to light for an
extended period of time. That makes 0 printers of 800 with a manufactures
defect. We also sold NEC, Brother and IBM, they ran the following for DOA;
NEC 3%, Brother 9%, IBM 10%. Their repair rates were; NEC 4%, Brother 12%
and IBM 14%. The IBM I think was a re-branded Tektronics or Lexmark - this
is escaping me.

If you can find one of these Canon's (Apple LaserWriter, HP LaserJet or the
Canon itself), buy it - it's a work horse and the 300 dpi version is great
for Newton output and the later version that put out 600 dpi is still good
for everyday printing. Slow by today's standards, but reliable.

Regards,

Paul Curtis - USA/OR
MP 120 v2.0/130/2100
Michigan State Spartans - Go Green! Go White!

Right. I run a Personal LaserWriter NTR at home that's now pushing... 12
years and almost 90,000 pages. It's a Canon print engine, and is very very
similar to the HP LaserJet IIP. I've had it serviced with HP parts. For a
printer that was given to me, it's done fairly well.

--
Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net - chuma_at_chuma.org NewtonTalk list
administrator - http://www.newtontalk.net Will the last person to leave the