Re: [NTLK] Opening of the Tucson Apple Store

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 13:33:38 PST

On Jan 26, 2004, at 8:55 AM, David M. Ensteness wrote:

>> All of the stylewriters and laserwriters were made by canon, the same
>> models
>> were also made for hp as well as for canon themselves.
>
> The StyleWriters were designed by Apple and manufactured by Canon,
Designed by Apple? Hardly. The only difference from the plain vanilla
canon is the plastic and the button arrangement. This printer was 99%
designed by canon and apple simply tweaked the buttons/LED/Firmware.

> the
> LaserWriters were designed by Apple and manufactured by HP using a mix
> of Canon [like the 16/600] and Xerox [like the 8500] engines. All were
> Apple branded.
Again, all of the earlier Apple lasers were canons, as were the HPs.

>> Another tip, if you
>> have one of these gems, you can buy the canon replacement
>> cartridge/drum for
>> about 1/3 of the cost of the apple(really a repackaged canon) product.
>
> Very true. Depends on the model though, sadly you can't buy non-Apple
> LW8500 toner, because there isn't any. But with the vast majority of
> LWs this is very true. Oh, and Apple LWs [at least the non-consumer
> models] generally have a very, very long life. Finding them these days
> isn't hard and they aren't expensive.
I usually buy the office depot branded toner cartridges. They are
cheaper then the HP branded ones and work perfectly.

I also have a local refurbisher of toner cartridges who is even
cheaper, and he does a great job also. He tends to over fill the
cartridges a bit so you get a longer service life out of them assuming
the rest of the cartridge holds up...

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html