Re: [NTLK] Opening of the Tucson Apple Store

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 09:35:56 PST

On Jan 27, 2004, at 5:26 AM, David Schultz wrote:

> On 1/27/04 4:17 AM, "Martin Joseph" <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 27, 2004, at 12:45 AM, Len Cole wrote:
>>

>>> I was given a Personal LaserWriter NT <snip>
>>>
>>> Several months ago I bought a LaserWriter II NT <snip>
>>> Their only shortcoming is that they are Postscript I engines and
>>> won't
>>> work under OS X that I know of. :-(
>> 10.3 and higher should be able to reliably print to these as long as
>> they are bridged to ethernet.
>
> There was an old "laserwriter bridge" extension that would allow you
> to do a
> sort of USB printer sharing scenario
USB? This acts as a connection between the old style serial appletalk
(localtalk) and the newer style Appletalk (Ethertalk)
> with an attached serial printer.
> However to do this today, you would need to have a mac with a serial
> port,
> running 9 or classic, with the older extension sharing the printer to
> the
> network. Or am I missing something?
Classic won't work it needs to be booted into actual real old macos. I
keep a performa 475 with an ethernet card and a PB5300 with an ethernet
card both of these can do the job. Also there are dedicated boxes from
Asante and from farallon that can do this bridging also.

> Thing is with brand new lasers from HP and Brother sporting native 9
> and X
> support for $100-250 (with optional ethernet cards for both available)
Hmmm those do sound like good deals, but you can't beat free.
> Ive
> been having second thoughts about my apple LaserWriter museum. (1
> 12/640, 2
> LW 8500's, 1 IINT, a IIF, and a personal LW 300)
I have a pro 630 a personal 320 and a personal NTR (hi victor) which is
at my wifes office hooked to her PC, it has a parallel port.All of
these could be loaned out for a traveling exhibit.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html