Re: [NTLK] FW: Re: Gem Enterprises selling info from my site ***This is my first post ever, please make this a group reply***

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 21:47:45 PST

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Gary E. Meyer wrote:

> We are NOT selling anything off of your (Frank's) website, nor are we copying
> ANYTHING neither paraphrased nor verbatim on the CD-ROM or in email form. Please
> folks, do not jump to conclusions on copyright law; some of the assumptions have been
> a bit out of line INHO after this thread was brought to my attention. I'm a square
> guy to deal with and not a fellow who does things to hurt, deceive or otherwise act
> in a manner that is not ethical.

> We are simply GIVING AWAY the links with the
> purchase as stated "**PLUS-AS AN ADDED BONUS**We will give you links with
> instructions in order to do the following" to HELP the Newton user

If you are just giving them away, why don't you change:

added bonus for you buyer a link to this information.

BTW, we enjoy Frank's site which has this information.

> sales. Victor, maybe take another look at the auction you are referring to when you
> said, "Personally I think that doing this is despicable and low" as we are giving
> away links-actually for FREE as a lot of users would like to do the upgrades in which
> we don't even sell the parts, the people on the links sell them. The auction is for
> a CD-ROM of information, The MONT BLANC of all Styli and Newton 2000, 2100 Clear
> Screen Protectors as stated-the links are free.

So just put them on the eBay page instead of saying you'll give them to
the winner of the auction.

Sorry, I agree with Victor that selling hyperlinks to someone else's
information is despicable and low.

I wouldn't mind if you sold a Google course, though, considering that
Frank's website ranks first for the few "How To" lines on your auction I
did run on Google.

> FYI for anyone speculating, the Ebay information CD-ROM we have been selling for over
> two years and it was examined and approved by Apple AND Ebay's VeRO program and we in
> fact are Ebay VeRO members ourselves and this has nothing to do with your website.

Making profit by selling a CD-ROM with things authored by others and
available on the Internet is somewhat questionnnable and I guess you have
the agreement of the authors of all the stuff you have put on the CD-ROM.

Still, this has nothing to do with what Frank was pointing out. You admit
you're selling hyperlinks to his site. It may or may not be legal
(remember that we live in a global world and Frank is a German and
European citizen). It is anyhow despicable and low.

Paul

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html