[NTLK] Hardware hacks on a Newton 2x00

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 13:11:11 PST

   Let me highly suggest that you go into your Newton and on the serial port replace the plastic rivits on the serial port with something a bit more robust... small metal rivits if possible. The serial port will have a tendency to work over the rivits, and soon the serial port rips off the motherboard. And it is a PAIN to put back in place. (A highly skilled person with a soldering iron).

    That is my suggestion. In the Newton world, with the 2x00, you have the option of the SER-001 for the serial port (great use of space and well made.. case doesn't close exactly right, but hey), the headphone jack hack, various screen protectors, various ways to change the backlight to a variety of colors, and of course the processor upgrade to 220 mhz.

    As best I know, aside from some rare 12 meg ram boards that were prototypes, there is no way to increase the internal ram to anything higher than the 4 meg ram, 4 meg rom the 2100 has.

    And I hope someone challenges me on that last statement. :D

    Good luck!

    Doctor Clu
    Newton User in Dallas, TX - USA

Previously...

Subject: [NTLK] Indispensable Hardware for a 2100?
From: John Osborne <tooz_at_oceanatlas.com>

Until I got my 2100, I didn't realize what a kludge the whole serial
dongle thing is--especially since my MP100 had the round DIN plug built
right in. .... Can anyone recommend any other hardware modifications that are
indispensable to Newton computing?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html