[NTLK] On EEtransfer: Abandonware.

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 07:15:58 PST

        Just thought I should pass this along. I can tell you that some of
the documentation links on EEtransfer are no good and unavailable
through the Wayback Machine, specifically the instructions on serial
and Zmodem transfers, but after the e-mail messages you'll see below I
didn't want to bother them any further. Some months ago I used
EEtransfer to send some files between my Newton and Powerbook under OS
X via serial and so I know *that* works, but I don't remember the
details as to how. The nag screen is annoying, but you can live with
the results. It looks like I may need to look at X-Port to get my
NewtonWorks documents into my Mac: the author may not have updated it
for OS X and I gather it won't handle 802.11b connections, but I
suspect it has full documentation in case I need it. Ah well, back to
transferring files via Escale one crash at a time--I *wish* I could get
my PowerBook to do Appletalk via 802.11b. Is anyone who has pulled it
off successfully likely to visit the Seattle or Portland area soon?

>> [bedii_at_qwest.net - Lun. Jan. 26 08:13:37 2004]:
>>
>> I have a Powerbook and have been using TCP/IP transfers for Escale
>> and NewtSync with limited success. X-Port was recommended, but I was
>> also told that EEtransfer would work under OS X without a problem as
>> long as I was using a serial connection. I thought I would check with
>> you if there was a method of using it with an 802.11b card and
>> TCP/IP.
>
> Hi,
>
> We are really sorry but EEtransfer is no longer maintained and the man
> who made it isn't any more working with Newton/Macos. So we couldn't
> give you any help. Maybe ask for a response on dedicated macos/Apples
> forums.
>
> Regards,
>
> Emmanuel Lacour.
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 02:38:39PM +0100, Bruce E. Durocher II via RT
> wrote:
>
>> Fair enough--I'll ask around. Are you still selling EEtransfer then,
>> or is it "Abandonware"?
>
> For us, it's really Abandonware ... sorry ;-)
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:06:28PM +0100, Bruce E. Durocher II via RT
> wrote:
>
>> In that case, would you consider allowing the registration password
>> be released so that current Newton users could use it freely? If so,
>> I'll let the folks at the United Network of Newton Archives know so
>> that they can add it to their free downloads along with the password.
>> If not, then I guess anyone experimenting with EEtransfer will have to
>> live with the "nag" screen...
>
> Really sorry one more time, we would like, but we haven't the
> application which did this and lost all source code too :((
>
> It's a very old project for us and our company change his jobs since
> end of 1998...

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html