Re: [NTLK] Indispensable Software for a 2100

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 10:18:03 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory J. Wayman
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Indispensable Software for a 2100

Trashpak can take kind of a snapshot of what you have installed and post it
to Notes
Greg
---------------------------------------
True but personally I like Newtinfo that is part of NewtCase. It will list
packages, soups, the size of each package or soup and export all of that to
notes. The nice part about it is you can use it to make a "catalogue" of
all your cards as it will review each one separately if you wish.

Oh on the subject of Newtcase, one package I never used as I thought it was
a older version of Extension Manager that comes with the set. Extension
manager will freeze packages and you can make "sets" so it will freeze
various packages with one tap so you can have different "setups". Which is
handy if you are running a Newt with low heap.

Well last night I was reviewing packages I use on a regular basis (mainly
due to this thread), when I came across Package Manger and was wondering how
it was different than Extension Manger. I knew it did freezing and figgured
that was it. Well I found out it does a lot more than I thought. It not
only will allow freezing packages in bulk but it will give info on packages
such as: size before and after compression, author, date of install, and
other little bits of info that up till now I only saw on SBM utilities.

But what was REALLY interesting is this package has the ability to switch
off the backup bit so the package won't be backedup with NBU or NBU! For
someone that just wants to backup data and not bother with packages this is
great. Normally the only way to backup data only is with a incremental
backup (or to a card) and some people have had problems with that being 100%
reliable. Another advantage is speed. Just backing up data really reduces
the backup time.

Perhaps there are other packages that can do this, but I personally have not
heard of any. And just one more reason that this suite is one great
addition to any Newt.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html