[NTLK] Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! - Slightly irritating, folks...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 01:00:28 PST

So there's this new software I wanted to try. I installed it and found it
no worky on my NOS 2.0 MP 130; the error message I got back was -48809 (an
interpreter error, saying "Undefined method").

The proper thing to do supposedly is installing Bugtrap (info
http://www.tactile.com/bugTrap.html) and find out more (talk about
empowering the user, etc.). So I downloaded Bugtrap 1.6, put the package in
a folder on my machine here, added the right MPG.pkg that Hardy pointed me
at (speedy + helpful reply, excellent!) to solve my MPG issue, added
mpg_man.pkg, PackageBeeper.pkg, R2D2Snd.pkg, and Nick Mueller's
WeekOfYear.pkg, stirred well and then poured the whole bucket onto my
Newton. It all installed well and without any pains.

I observed that right after Bugtrap finished installing a window opened
titled "NS Debug Tools 2.2" which advised me not to play with lizard guts
(it was differently worded, though). All installs completed, my Newton
kinda froze - it rebooted, and when it came back, it showed a display that
was empty save for the "busy"-light bulb icon. I rebooted the machine after
a few minutes.

After reboot, all went well, and it was activating all the extensions
nicely from internal and card stores. After all the card stuff was active,
up came the window "NS Debug Tools 2.2" with the Apply copyright thing and
the "no poke fingah" disclaimer. Very well. I closed that window, got a
same-sized one with the same wavy frame around it, just nothing in it - no
title, nothing. Then the display went blank, and my Newton was rebooting.
After reboot, it told me it had to restart because of an system error. This
automatically repeats, and it's very entertaining to watch, and probably I
could sell it as a piece of art now if I hung it on a wall with a sign
"Digital Ourobos, late 20th Cent. Do not feed!" and make so much money off
it I could buy a dozen of them PLUS a clear case one PLUS four MP 2100 AND
three eMates AND 1 GB storage cards AND Paul's driver for the whole class
AND bluetooth for everybody AND all the Mr. PCBMan gear I could cram in
those bricks and clams AND buy three G5 boxes and turn them into an
386-cluster AND get all the upgrade cards for the old Macs living here that
money can buy (I *love* the 6100's case and really wish I could G4 it and
plug in 2x 256 MB SIMM)...
...where was I? Ah, yes. I just humbly want to use my MP 130 again.

So I flipped the switch on the back to disable the card after the next
crash, and as might be expected, Newton behaves now (all new stuff was
installed to card). But I need that 4 MB card! I can't afford to write it
off and throw it away, it's the only "largish" card I have and I need it
for all those books...!

This is a major showstopper for me. Any advice appreciated.

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html