Re: [NTLK] Fun with "Reset With Extensions Off" [was Re: Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! - Slightly irritating, folks...]

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 06:12:38 PST

>> Praise the FAQ, and try it by the handbook again.
>>
>> Result: I'd set the card disbling switch on "locked" and hit reset. Then I
>> tapped the right spot. Presto - boxo dialogo! Disabled the internal store
>> (like I did before). Tapped the same spot again ('xactly like I
*didn't* do
>> before ;=} ). Nada - the Newton ignored my pleas, no new slip, the Newton
>> rightaway activates the stuff on the card and goes back to Crash! Reboot!
>> Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot!
>
>I think. You can do that if you activate the card, so boot without the
>card. Then lock the card, and tap the display.

Meanwhile, back in Central Europe... I've kept trying the FAQ-Reset w/o
ext. and hitting different spots. Still no go. Suddenly, a change with card
unlocked - hitting old spot, no dialogue box, machine boots, AND TELLS ME
NO INTERNAL STORE ACTIVATED due to some problem with it. Wow. Pretty
impressive.
    Since then, it doesn't activate the extensions in the internal store
anymore, no matter how often I try and whether or not the card is locked -
that just adds the Crash! Reboot!-bit to the whole stew for more flava, but
actually it looks like TWO issues now.

I will try the tip that Jochen recommended - reboot all the way w/o
internal store, w/o card store, and then toggling the card lock to on and
tapping the display.

If that works or not, then I'll try my emergency card and see what I can do
about the internal store. Anybody wanna take bets that I'm able to screw
this Newt up so it won't even give me the time of day anymore?

Boy, is all this annoying.

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html