Re: [NTLK] GPS and maps on the Newton

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 07:10:47 PDT

>Dan wrote:
>The wireless driver
>(Heroshi's...and excuse the spelling I don't have time to double check it)
>is only set for 5v, and to insert a 3v one will cause damage
>----------------------------------
>Hiroshi has a new 3v driver that is in the test stage now and I have been
using a wireless d-link dwl-650 for 4 weeks now with no issues.....and I
think Paul did write that the Newton can use 3v,5v and 12 v cards, please
correct me if I'm wrong

Yes I know that the Newt itself can use 3v 5v and 12v cards (Paul did
confirm this a few months back), it is just a matter of the driver using it
properly. I did not know that Hiroshi had a new version that can use 3v
cards. According to Paul, Hiroshi's driver is basied on a API that can't
handle 3v, so he was limited on what he could do. Perhaps he found a way
around that problem (and perhaps he just rewrote the entire driver at the
system level). Perhaps Paul can chime in to confrim this.

-Dan