[NTLK] AirPort & Escale OS X Question

From: Mark Millard (markmillard_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 10:51:39 PDT

I'm using an MP 2100 with a known good WaveLAN card, using Hiroshi's
(paid) driver. I can surf the web using NetHopper, etc. from my
wireless network at home.

Now that I have that under my belt, I'd like to use the wireless card
to connect to my PowerBook 12" so I can use Escale (or other programs)
with Mac OS X 10.3. I don't have a USB-to-Serial adapter, and I'd like
to avoid buying one if possible (the Keyspan adapter is $79, ugh).

Here's where I need help: I can't figure out how to make the 2100 go
look for the PowerBook on the wireless network. When I try to use Dock
on the 2100, I see Serial, AppleTalk, etc., but no obvious options
that would turn on the WaveLAN card so that the 2100 and the PowerBook
can see each other. The Escale documentation is a little helpful but
I'm still stuck with this bootstrapping problem.

Anyone know how to make this work? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I was kinda hoping the "roaming" feature of Hiroshi's driver would
help, but nothing seems to work. I've even tried a
computer-to-computer AirPort config on the PowerBook: that made no
difference.

Also, is there a USB-to-Mac Serial cable out there for $40 or less?

Thanks in advance, everyone.