Re: [NTLK] Upgrading Newton 2000

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 13:29:37 PDT

Someone feared:

Marco said:

> It is about as complicated as installing the SER-001. YouŽll
> need only to open the rear cover of the Newton, which is
> sometimes not very easy especially for the first timer.
> Except careful handling of the fine mechanics you should care
> about electrostatic discharges and prevent them as
> good as possible, because the memory chip is certainly
> sensitive and might be destroyed easily.

Ermm... I hate doing this, but...

Updating a 2000 requires unsoldering two memory chips from the
mainboard and soldering two new chips to the mainboard. Said chips
have pins that are so close together that even with reasonably good
soldering equipment you don't have a chance. You'd need special
equipment to unsolder and resolder SMD components, and you need
the experience and skill to use it.
At the moment I do not offer this upgrade because I'm lacking
the required soldering equipment. If anybody out there has
a hot air soldering station he wants to get rid of...
And yes, I have installed many SER001s. This is really easy. But
upgrading a 2000 mainboard is not.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de