[NTLK] No Ethernet or Appletalk Love (long)

From: Matthew Atkinson (matkinsonmp2k_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 05:27:46 PDT

I'm not having any (ethernet) fun...what am I doing
wrong?

On the Newton side: uMP2K,
- 3com 3C589D enet card,
- manual config on "Internet Setup" (subnet mask and
gateway/router address are like my iBook's from the
newwork admin utility; local IP address is like my
iBook's, but last digit is modified; primary DNS and
Domain Name are left blank),
- NIE 2.0 (w/ NIE Ethernet and Localtalk modules),
- Farallon enet driver,
- z3Comdrv (the 3com addon), (**Note: I had 3c589
package installed, but deleted it following the advice
from NT.net on 6/23/2004)
- Newton Devices

On the iBook side: original tangerine iBook, running
OS X (10.3.3),
- Appletalk turned on (Finally! - had to go thru
terminal),
- Escale 1.0.1 (20030503) looking for connection on
Appletalk only

When I try to connect, the light on the dongle flashes
once, briefly as soon as I select "Appletalk" connect
to "Other Computer" and I get the "Looking for other
Mac OS Computers" slip. I let it look for a while (a
few minutes), but it never finds anything. But, it
never flashes again until I stop the hunt, then it
lights up for 5-10 seconds.
I am not going through a hub, bet am connecting
directly Newt-iBook.
Something weird: Before I deleted the 3c589 package,
the Newt would recognize the card and not give me any
problems on reset; after deleting it, on reset, I get
a "There is a problem with this card (Newton cannot
recognize this type of card)". But I'm able to choose
it in the Appletalk prefs and Internet setup slips,
and there's no message when I insert the card.
So what am I doing wrong? I S'dTFA and got some
answers, (like how to turn on AT in terminal and to
delete the 3c589 pkg), but I'm still connectionless.

Thanks,
Matthew