Re: [NTLK] newton questions

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 14:41:34 PDT

On Jul 10, 2004, at 3:59 PM, Patrick Jendraszak wrote:

>> 3.Can i zap the pram on a newton
>
> As far as I know, there is nothing identical to zapping the pram. On a
> Mac,
> that resets certain factory parameters and items like date and time.
> When
> you reset the Newton, those things remain intact. If you do a "brain
> wipe"
> (perhaps a quick look at the archive will show further articles on
> this),
> you lose all the data on the Newton, but have it brought back to a
> "factory
> condition", if you will. So, as you can see, these two things are not
> quite
> like a pram zapping.

There's also an intermediate step - I *think* called a hard reset -
where one takes out the batteries and unhooks any chargers from the
newton for at least 20 minutes. This undoes a small bit of memory
somewhat like the pram on a mac desktop. The way to tell if it worked
is when you do power up the newton it will ask you to re-calibrate the
pen input. Pen input, I'm guessing contrast / volume and a couple other
things get reset this way. It's not necessary to do this on any sort of
regular basis, but I have heard of some weird recurring problems being
cleared up in this manner.