Re: [NTLK] newton questions

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 22:41:30 PDT

On Jul 10, 2004, at 7:25 PM, Dan wrote:
--A lot of good info that corrects my mistake--

Okay - I was wrong to call it a "Hard reset" - I've personally used
that term for what I described, and 'Brain-wipe' when I meant the
'erase everything from flash' type reset commonly referred to as 'Hard
Reset'

according to this page (newton faq)
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2

What I was talking about as being equivalent to a pram reset is the
"Power Drain-reset" for the mp2x00 devices. Yes, data is stored as
flash on these machines - meaning all your packages and information is
safe during a power-drain reset, a few settings appear to be in
volatile ram - fed by a capacitor or the batteries - letting this
capacitor drain is what I believe the power-drain reset accomplishes.

Don't try it on the mp1xx models - some (all?) of them use volatile
sram to store everything, so draining them in this manner WOULD erase
your data.

Again - sorry for any confusion I may have caused over the terms - and
thanks to Dan for putting me in my place ^_^;