[NTLK] GPS again WAS Re: Freezing or removing built-in icons

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 23:29:00 PDT

>Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:05:58 -0400
>Subject: [NTLK] GPS again WAS Re: Freezing or removing built-in icons
>From: Brian <bmcewen_at_comcast.net>
>

>On Sunday, July 11, 2004, at 09:08 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
> >
> >> slot for a CF card.
> >
> > Say, I've seen the GPS CF-cards currently offerend on Ebay (hardly any
> > PC
> > Cards on offer anymore), can they be used with a PCMCIA CF-Card
> > adaptor?
> >
> > 'Kasko
> >

>This was talked about a lot in May, and again in June; a couple people
>were asking about GPS again in the last couple digests so here's an
>archive link:
>
><http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=108680916800770&w=2
>
>about software, card model and source, and costs.
>
>Bottom line: everything from 2000 and up should be fine, even a 130/120
>depending on what you want to do, especially for use of Teletype (I'd
>test but my 130 didn't want to start last time I tried it), it's about
>$100 for a CF GPS, and all the software you need is on UNNA archives.
>The cards are just serial comm devices, sending NMEA (ASCII) text that
>you use or write a application to parse. It's in the link, but the
>Haicom HI-303E is a known useful card (there are a couple of newer
>models, too).

Thanks, Brian! I knew that technically the cards shouls work (NMEA, serial
device, yadda yadda), but wasn't sure if they'd still fit in a CF adaptor
inside a Newton. I always thought those adaptors were for storage and other
CF cards that don't need to extend to the outside.

So I learned something new today, who woulda thought! ;=}

Cheers,

DJV.