[NTLK] Maybe dead 2K. Resurrection or replacement needed!

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 10:54:48 PDT

Oh dear - I'm all revved up with no Newt to go: my beautiful MP2000
has been in a drawer for a year or so. I thought I took the AA
batteries out, but... I didn't. And yes, they leaked.

I've cleaned out the holder and carefully tried to clean the
connector inside the unit (not easy to reach - I've not opened one of
these up yet), and when I tried with a borrowed set of AA batteries
last night it worked. So - I turned it off and gave the batteries
back. Now when I try with a new set I get absolutely nothing - not a
flicker. [sob] I've pressed the reset, but there's probably a
particular reset method I haven't tried yet. Connecting a Newton
power supply doesn't make any difference.

So, I have two questions:

First of all, does anyone have suggestions that I could try in order
to resurrect it?

And second, if this doesn't work, where should I look for a 2100?
I've been reading through the archives (honest, I have), and I've
learned that there are a few high-chargers around, but also a number
of people offering very useful services.

I'm in London, UK, BTW, if that makes any difference to ideas for question #2.
Thanks for your time, everyone!

Keith

--
      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine