Re: [NTLK] Works - doesn't anymore!!

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jul 17 2004 - 18:22:45 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Bellamy <dave_bellamy_at_mac.com>
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Saturday, July 17, 2004 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Works - doesn't anymore!!

>Hi Guys
>
>Many thanks of the all the advice. I eventually choose the 'remove
>card' option. I transferred the packages I had on that card to another
>card, then erased that card and now Works, well works! I also did a
>reset (using the little button on the back) and left it unplugged over
>night and that seems to have solved the problem. This was in addition
>to shouting at it and generally questioning the Newt's parentage!

Umm what I suggested was just remove the card that has the large DOCUMENT
(the 3.4 meg one you imported) on it. Then open Works and select any
document to view it. Then reinsert your card and using the overview option
(press the black buttion on the buttion bar while in Works) then checkmark
the large document and then tap on the envelope icon then tap on delete.
There was no need to erase the card or move any packages around. Also as
mentioned before going into extras (under the folder storage, looks like a
bunch of safe icons) you could have erased all the data as well that way by
taping on the safe icon called "works" the selecting delete. Again no need
to move the Works packages or delete them. Data/documents are stored in a
soup (something like files on a desktop), and deleting packages or moving
will never fix a problem with corrupt or problem data in a soup.

Regardless I am glad you fixed the problem.

>I think that I need to read the FAQ's more and just get more familiar
>with the internal working of the Newt so that next time a problem
>occurs I am not in a complete panic. That is the problem with the Newt
>- I am so used to it just working without any problems most of the
>time, that when it does fall over I have no idea what to do!

Good idea, and yes that is understanable as the Newt is very reliable. But
as with any computer 'stuff' happens at some point. So it is always a good
idea to backup backup and backup. :)

>Any hu, its all good now so thanks for the support guys.

Glad to hear it and you are welcome.

-Dan